CSDR Research Vertical – Space Technologies and Policy
About the vertical
CSDR’s Space Technologies and Policy vertical is focused on exploring and analysing the complex interplay between technological advancements in the space industry and policy decisions made by the Indian government. The aim of the vertical is to provide insights into the challenges and opportunities associated with the development and utilization of space technologies in India, and to inform policy discussions around space-related issues and open prospects of international cooperation in a move towards a shared digital ecosystem.
The vertical conducts in-depth research on a range of topics related to space technologies and policy in India, including but not limited to: satellite communication and navigation systems, launch vehicle technology, remote sensing and earth observation, space exploration, space debris management, international space regime, and economic opportunities created by the space economy. Our research considers the technological, economic, political, and social aspects of the space industry in India and its role in national growth.
The research vertical engages with stakeholders from the government, industry, academia, and civil society to gather diverse perspectives on space technologies and policy in India. The vertical also organizes workshops, seminars, and other events to disseminate research findings and promote informed policy discussions.
The ultimate goal of the research vertical is to provide evidence-based recommendations for policy makers in India to make informed decisions on space-related issues. The vertical works towards establishing India as a leader in the global space industry and contribute to the development of a sustainable and secure space ecosystem in the country.
Job Title: Research Fellow in Space Technologies and Policy
We are seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual who can work together with a team of interdisciplinary researchers to address critical issues related to space technologies, policies, and their impact on society.
The Research Fellow will be based in our research organization and will network closely with other researchers and stakeholders in the space sector. This is a full-time position with a competitive salary. If you are passionate about space technologies and policies, and are looking for an exciting opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research in a developing area with potential, we encourage you to apply for this position.
- Conduct research on emerging applications and the economic potential of space technologies, covering space exploration, space commercialization, and space policy, using a variety of research methods and tools.
- Analyse and evaluate the potential impact of these applications and space technologies on society, including economic, social, and environmental impacts.
- Identify and assess policy options and regulatory frameworks for space activities, and provide recommendations for policy makers.
- Prepare research reports, policy briefs, and academic articles for publication.
- Present research findings to academic, policy, and industry audiences, and participate in relevant conferences and workshops.
- Collaborate with other researchers and stakeholders in the space sector to identify research needs and opportunities.
- PhD in a relevant field (that could be technical such as aerospace engineering or in Social Sciences such as Political Science, Area Studies, Law and Policy) with relevant research/work experience.
- Strong knowledge and experience in space technologies and policies, including emerging technologies and regulatory frameworks.
- Experience in conducting research using a variety of research methods and tools, including quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, and the ability to synthesize complex information and draw evidence-based conclusions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to present research findings to a variety of audiences.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, and the ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment.
- 2-3 years full time research/project experience
Assignment type: Contractual (12 months)
Compensation: 9.60– 10.80 lakh INR per annum (Based on experience)
Upload your CV, along with Cover Letter (As one file)
Last date for application: 10 April 2023